THEA 384: Introduction to Puppetry

whoshungrySocial justice and…puppetry? Check out this latest course, courtesy of Leslie Weinberg:

I’m excited to be offering a .5 credit course (THEA 384) in the Fall 2013 semester on the creation of puppet performance from oral histories and factual events.

The course will take advantage of the on-campus presence of Dan Hurlin and Dan Froot’s WHO’S HUNGRY?, which will be performed in the CFA on Sept.27 and 28.  Based on oral histories, WHO’S HUNGRY? offers portraits of five very different homeless and/or hungry residents of Santa Monica, California.  We will begin our exploration with a two session intensive workshop with Dan Froot and the WHO’S HUNGRY? puppeteers on Monday evening and Tuesday afternoon, September 23 and 24, where we will be working with stories collected in New England at homeless shelters and food banks.

Based on this introduction, students will then create their own fact-based performances on topics or individuals of their own choice. The emphasis of the course is on theatricalization and performance rather than the creation of technologically complex puppets.

THEA 384 will be available for registration during Drop-Add when you return in September.  Class size is limited to 10 and will require POI.  The class will meet once a week for 1.5 hour (after the initial 2 session workshop) .

If you are interested, please email me.  I will be keeping a wait list.  I’d also like to know what days and times would work with your schedule as the official class time is still TBD.

lweinberg@wesleyan.edu

For the WesMaps description, click here.

Jelisa Adair

I am the Civic Engagement Fellow for 2013-2014. While a student at Wesleyan I double majored in Psychology and Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and completed a joint thesis during my senior year. I am interested in issues of social justice, mental health, media, and global welfare.