Looking Ahead

fosshill

Well, the end of our orientation series has come! We hope that you have enjoyed getting to know us, have a better understanding of what ENGAGE is, have learned how to connect with us during the year, and how we can support you in your academic and nonacademic ventures, and even after you leave Wesleyan.

Please continue to check back here for more blog updates and find out about new job opportunities, grant funding, and events. Sign up for our newsletter to get weekly updates of what is going on with civic engagement in and around our community. You can also meet us in person at the Orientation Resource Pavillion (Wednesday 8/26, Beckham Hall 10a-3p), the Community Engagement Fair (Wednesday 9/11; Usdan Courtyard 11:30-1p) and the Student Activities Fair (Friday 9/13, Usdan Courtyard 2-5p). We would like to leave you with some testimonial from one student about her involvement through our departments:

“I was never more proud of our program than the first couple of weeks last year. Meeting the numerous passionate students who sacrificed their own free time and study time to come to our Tuesday night meetings helped reinforce my own passion for our cause. As we all sat there, listening to Kennedy Odede speak about his home and the girls at the school in Kibera, I was reminded of how powerful hope is, and how empowering it is to help give hope. As an organization, we don’t just fund a school, we fund a movement of young and accomplished women. A movement of young women who will one day change the world around them. A movement of young women who are already drastically transforming the dynamics of their community. Educating young girls really does revolutionize societies. Never have I felt more confident in this, than at our weekly meetings as students discuss ways to fundraise and raise awareness for these young girls miles and miles away from us.”
Maeve Russell ’14
Shining Hope for Communities
Government and Environmental Studies Majors

So what are you waiting for? You have everything to gain from getting involved with ENGAGE. We hope to see you soon!

Jelisa Adair

I am the Civic Engagement Fellow for 2013-2014. While a student at Wesleyan I double majored in Psychology and Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and completed a joint thesis during my senior year. I am interested in issues of social justice, mental health, media, and global welfare. 

Tags: