Enrichment Grant Report: Sam Rispaud ’15

Sam Rispaud ’15 was selected to receive an Enrichment Grant from the Patricelli Center for Social Entrepreneurship. This funding allowed Sam to attend the the Global Health and Innovation Conference at Yale University, which was organized by Unite for Sight. Read Sam’s story below, and visit the PCSE website to learn more about our grant programs.

**********************************************

This past April, the Patricelli Center funded my trip to the Global Health and Innovation Conference at Yale University. Coincidentally, a few other students from Wesleyan were also attending so we were able to carpool and connected throughout our time at the conference. The Global Health and Innovation Conference is the worlds largest global health conference and had students, social entrepreneurs, and individuals from all sectors of global health in attendance. Sessions ranged from topics about healthcare technology in resource-poor settings to using film and media in global health.

I found many of the sessions inspiring and applicable to my work with the MINDS Foundation on campus. One session titled, “Global Health Education: Reviewing Effective Strategies of Dissemination of Health Information,” was the highlight of the conference for me. It was a workshop led Brian Heuser, a professor of global health at the Peabody College of Vanderbilt. We discussed how to evaluate the ethics behind American health organizations becoming involved in third world countries and working to change or improve healthcare there.  We also discussed how these organizations must effectively integrate with local culture in order to not overstep their boundaries. The session was attended by journalists, doctors, researchers, and students all with differing ideas about the matter. The lively discussion that ensued helped me to see the issue from a number of angles that I had never considered before.

Overall, the conference was an amazing experience that would not have been possible without the help of the Patricelli Center. I was able to network and connect with other students and social entrepreneurs doing similar work to my own. I also learned a lot about global health and the opportunities available in the field. I was able to explore downtown New Haven and it was refreshing to get off campus for the weekend. Much thanks to the Patricelli Center!