PMP seeks highly motivated college junior and senior undergraduates and graduate students passionate about education and interested in pursuing a career in teaching. Over the summer, the Practice Makes Perfect teaching fellowship offers an opportunity to gain first-hand teaching experience in New York City’s high needs communities through our 5 week academic intensive summer program that pairs academically struggling students with near-peer mentors. In addition to gaining comprehensive teacher training and support from certified teachers, Teaching Fellows will make an impact on the lives of students and contribute to eliminating summer learning loss and narrowing the achievement gap.
This paid fellowship will prepare individuals for a career in education while also teach skills such as leadership, communication, and perseverance that are transferable to any profession.
Teaching Fellows will:
- Complete mandatory 45+ hours of training and orientation.
- Gain 200 hours of teaching experience with the support of a certified NY teacher (Teaching Coach).
- Develop daily lesson plans and deliver instruction to scholars in the subjects of reading, writing, and math.
- Design and lead enrichment activities, as well as non-cognitive periods, spelling and vocabulary lessons.
- Assess scholar progress toward daily objectives and summer goals with the purpose of eliminating the summer learning loss and making gains in core content areas.
- Oversee and instruct mentors in how they can be most effective in their relationships with scholars.
- Lead mentor sessions in leadership development and college preparation (this can include SAT prep, passion mapping, and more).
- Create and maintain relationships with parents and/or legal guardians throughout the summer to share scholar achievements and reinforce classroom goals and expectations.
- Differentiate instruction for a wide-variety of learning styles.
- Develop and/or maintain a prescribed classroom and behavior management system.
- Gather and submit all required data in a timely manner (test scores, attendance, end of summer report cards etc.).
- Engage in professional development run by their Teaching Coach with the purpose of strengthening teaching practices to ensure measurable student outcomes.
Skills and Qualifications
The Practice Makes Perfect teaching fellowship is available to current juniors, seniors, and graduate students pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s preferably in education and/or a related field.
- 3.0 GPA.
- Some experience working with children, preferably in an academic setting.
- Availability for all of training (middle of June) and the summer program (July and early August).
- A passion for education and a deep set belief in the potential of all students, regardless of socioeconomic status, to achieve success.
Like to haves:
- Organizational ability including planning, prioritizing, and time management.
- Leadership experience and ability across a variety of settings.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to motivate others.
- 6-week fellowship (1-week training, 5-week program) in New York City
- Monday-Friday: 8am-4pm
- Weekly Average Commitment: 40 hours (excluding transportation)