Middlebury College is piloting a new program called Jiran: The Arab
- Have taken two years of college-level Arabic PLUS a language-intensive study abroad experience OR
- Have taken three years of college-leve Arabic and have exposure to an Arabic dialect OR
- Be an Arabic heritage speaker
How can Wesleyan students get involved?
1) Students who have participated in any of the Middlebury Arabic programs and fit our eligibility criteria are eligible to apply as student participants. The application deadline is this Thursday, March 8.
2) Students who do not fit the aforementioned criteria and will not be in CT over the summer could be incredibly helpful in helping us solicit in-kind and financial donations for the summer program over the next few months. We are particularly in need of bicycles, food donations over the summer, school supplies, and financial donations to go towards bus passes, gas, food, etc.
3) Students who do not fit the aforementioned criteria but will be in Connecticut over the summer are invited to participate as community mentors in our program. This could involve:
- Attending program guest lectures and field trips focused on obstacles facing refugee and immigrant communities in the US
- Serving as volunteer drivers for program activities (field trips, doctor appointments, etc)
- Helping plan or just attending community events with our Jiran families and students
- Working with our student-family pairs to better connect our participating families with other communities in CT
If you have any questions or interest, please contact Emily Goldman.