Lend for America Program Associate — Americorps VISTA — Newark, NJ
Lend for America is a rapidly growing organization founded to empower student leaders to build their communities through the creation of campus microfinance institutions (Campus MFIs). Our national platform supports students practicing microfinance in the U.S. by providing training, networking, funding, and research.
In the last year, we reached over 500 students across 32 states through our programs, which include a year-long fellowship program, annual conference, and on-site, intensive technical assistance. We were featured on CNN, researched by the Aspen Institute, funded by Capital One, and we won an innovation award from Ashoka. There are now groups from 15 universities that belong to our membership, which extends nationwide from California to Massachusetts. We get calls every day from students at other schools who want to join the movement.
We’re looking for our second team member who can help execute our strategy to put a campus MFI on every college campus in the country. Lend for America is a part of The Intersect Fund, which means we’re surrounded by an awesome team of practitioners at an award winning microlender that offers business training, coaching and microloans to low-income, minority and women-owned businesses throughout New Jersey.
Who we’re looking to hire
We’re hiring a full-time Program Associate who is:
• a fantastic writer
• an independent worker
• a strategic thinker
• excited about our mission and programs
Ideally, the Program Associate will have:
• A track record of being highly organized and professional
• Communications and marketing skills
• A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles
• Experience managing multiple projects
• Expertise in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Ability to work in an entrepreneurial, mission-driven environment
• Humble and personable team player who believes that no job is beneath you
• Sense of humor
• Actual experience with microfinance/microenterprise development
• Experience with research and data collection and analysis
• Web and/or print design skills
• Database administration skills (especially Salesforce)
• Social media and/or PR experience
Our Program Associate will:
• Capture updates from our members to share what they’re working on
• Collect, analyze, and benchmark data to measure our effectiveness
• Market the Lend for America Fellowship (www.lendforamerica.org/fellowship) program to underclassmen who want to start a Campus MFI
• Drive registration for our national, annual conference — the Lend for America Summit (www.lendforamerica.org/summit)
• Write content for email announcements and the website
• Build our social media presence to attract new audiences to our network
A successful candidate must be committed to delivering results in a fast-paced environment and be able to handle a heavy workload. This position is an excellent opportunity to gain communications experience at a growing nonprofit and build relationships in the social entrepreneurship and microfinance sectors. The position will be based in Newark, New Jersey and reports to Lend for America’s Executive Director.
This position is volunteer position through the Americorps VISTA program (http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp). Our Program Associate will receive compensation in the amount of $13,297 for one year of service. Health insurance coverage is provided by Americorps VISTA. At the end of the year of service, VISTA volunteers have a choice to get a $5,550 education award or a $1,500 end of service stipend. You will issued a laptop and cell phone for your work, and all work-related travel expenses will be covered. We will also provide housing stipends on a case-by-case basis.
How to apply
Interested candidates should email a resume, thoughtful cover letter, and writing sample(s) email@example.com with ‘Program Associate’ in the subject line. Lend for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position description available online at: http://lendforamerica.org/internships.html