Girls in Science – High School Program Assistant
Girls in Science (GIS) provides opportunities for girls and young women to explore their interests in science and develop critical skills to be used in their scientific pursuits and beyond. The program features a 1-week summer camp which fosters inquiries in science via experiments, interactive activities, and trips.
Girls in Science engages a cohort of high school students with demonstrated interests in science. High School Program Assistants play a critical role in supporting GIS programming and serve as role models for participants in grades 4-6. In doing so, High School Program Assistants develop critical career readiness skills, further develop content knowledge and skills, and benefit from the mentoring of Wesleyan graduate students and faculty.
Girls in Science employs an intergenerational mentoring model. The program’s staff is comprised of women Wesleyan University faculty members from the chemistry, physics, astronomy, and biology departments, young women student assistants, and aspiring high school scientists – who all work in collaboration to develop the next generation of innovative leaders in fields of science in a safe and nurturing space.
High School Program Assistants are expected to be available:
- During camp hours, 8:30-4:00 pm, August 5-9
- During a Science Showcase, 4:30 pm, August 9
- For several hours of training and professional development, details to come
This position is funded by The Business Industry Foundation of Middlesex County’s Youth @ Work Program.
- Organize daily morning meeting activities (including Women in Science Presentations) for Girls in Science program participants.
- Collaborate with lead and assistant teachers to implement science activities.
- Collaborate with GIS staff to facilitate positive group management.
- Provide small group support to GIS participants during educational activities
- Build strong, trusting relationships with program participants
- Participate in training and professional development sessions as required.
- Collaborate with cohort of High School Program Assistant to present on key learnings during community sharing.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Currently enrolled in high school, or graduating senior
- Program Assistants must be female-identifying
- Must be a Middletown resident
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Belief in the importance of mentoring
- Ability to be organized and multi-task
- Interest in pursuing education and/or career in science related field
If you are interested, please fill out the following Google form: https://forms.gle/ZVgYornrSNZXF4R17
The Girls in Science Summer Camp Team will begin reviewing applications starting June 17th.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com