The staff at the Jewett and Allbritton Centers are excited about continuing CSPL120: Civic Engagement Practice!
Since the University’s reaffirmation of its commitment to engaging the broader public around some of society’s most critical issues in the 2018 Civic Action Plan, we have offered more programming and opportunities designed to help build student capacity for civic participation.
Civic Engagement Practice (CSPL 120) brings together the ever-growing and evolving community of students at Wesleyan who are invested in civic engagement to:
- Bolster student civic knowledge…the functional knowledge of government, history and culture, and current events.
- Bolster content knowledge across our focus areas…functional knowledge of the issues partners and community stakeholders seek to confront through programming, advocacy, education, or other means.
- Build skills…The broad analytic, communication, media literacy, time and task management skills, and others so critical to engaging effectively.
- Further develop civic identities…supporting students as they make sense of how to situate their experiences and beliefs within broader histories, social and political contexts.
Starting this year, students will be grouped into 1 of 4 focus areas depending on the nature of their work. The groups are education/youth development, sustainability/environmental justice, reimagining justice, and the arts. Students will be notified of their groups.
In order to enroll in this .25 course students must participate in a pre-approved civic engagement program (at a minimum of 60 minutes per week). To successfully complete the course, students must:
- Complete the CSPL120 Application
- Review the Cardinal Community Commitment (in the application).
- Subscribe to the Engage newsletter (if you haven’t already) by filling out this form.
- Attend AT LEAST 6 Allbritton-sponsored events that will be listed on Moodle. (Attendance at events will be recorded.)
- Submit a reflective essay by Wednesday, May 8th 11:59pm
If you have questions or need additional information about CSPL120, please contact us at email@example.com.