Monthly Updates From the Patricelli Center: An Archive

Each month, I send an email to a group of Patricelli Center for Social Entrepreneurship alumni leaders. I have decided to archive all those emails here for anyone who wants to see them. If you’d like to be on my email list too, just send me a note and I’ll be glad to add you!   —Makaela Kingsley ’98, PCSE director & adjunct instructor in CSPL

March 1, 2021

Dear friends,

Welcome to issue 8 of my monthly update email. Each month I’ll share news from the Patricelli Center, ask for your help and advice, and loop in additional alumni. This is part of an ongoing effort to move from a small and static advisory board to an inclusive and nimble alumni leadership group. Also, writing these updates will help me reflect and stay accountable. If you want to be removed from this list, let me know anytime.

New to the email list this month-

The latest from the Patricelli Center-

• We have a small but mighty pool of applicants for the 2021 Patricelli Center Seed Grants. Finalists will be announced next week.
  • The Center is offering four classes this semester: Startup Incubator, Engaged Projects, Patricelli Center for Social Entrepreneurship Fellowship, and System Mapping for Social and Environmental Change.
  • I am part of a new Project Based Teaching Community group with six other faculty from across the University. I continue to explore ways to collaborate with other departments and embed entrepreneurial thinking into the overall Wesleyan student experience.

New asks / ways you can engage-

• Coach the many student ventures that are preparing to pitch in various settings later this spring. We’ll match-make based on student need and alumni expertise.
  • Mentor a Patricelli Center Fellow. They’re still honing their topics, but here’s the list as it currently stands:
    • the disparities and inequalities in the legal marijuana industry
    • barriers to success for people with only a high school diploma or less
    • access to and quality of urban green space
    • abortion access in the Midwestern US
    • education inequality in Vietnam
    • opportunities for Syrian refugees in Turkey
    • ineffective public math education in the US and its implications
    • the role of corporations in climate change
    • barriers to upward mobility for adult Haitian immigrants in Boston
    • academic inequality
    • factory farming
    • maternal and infant health in Ivory Coast
    • the digital race gap
  • Personally invite other Wesleyan alumni to get involved

Looking forward to your replies!

Makaela

February 1, 2021

Dear friends,

Welcome to issue 7 of my monthly update email. Each month I’ll share news from the Patricelli Center, ask for your help and advice, and loop in additional alumni. This is part of an ongoing effort to move from a small and static advisory board to an inclusive and nimble alumni leadership group. Also, writing these updates will help me reflect and stay accountable. If you want to be removed from this list, let me know anytime.

New to the email list this month-

The latest from the Patricelli Center-

New asks / ways you can engage-

• Mentor — or just have a conversation with — a spring 2021 Patricelli Center student. We’ll match-make based on student need and alumni expertise.
  • Share your ideas for growing the campus-wide entrepreneurship ecosystem

Looking forward to your replies!

Makaela

January 1, 2021

I promised I’d reach out every month, but this time I will spare you the business and simply say *happy new year*   

Last year was the pits, but my work constantly reminds me that there are unstoppable change agents and innovators all around, and they keep me optimistic for the future. Thank you for your endless support of these people – and for being these people! I wish you health and hope in 2021.

Until next month,

Makaela

December 1, 2020

Dear friends,

Welcome to issue #5 of my monthly update email (scroll down for the first 4). Each month I’ll share news from the Patricelli Center, ask for your help and advice, and loop in additional alumni. This is part of an ongoing effort to move from a small and static advisory board to an inclusive and nimble alumni leadership group. Also, writing these updates will help me reflect and stay accountable. If you want to be removed from this list, let me know anytime.

New to the email list this month-

The latest from the Patricelli Center-

• Posse Scholar Gabriel Mirelez ’23 won $2,000 in the Connecticut Collegiate Business Plan Competition for his startup, Vethos Technologies, which develops technological solutions for the emergency response sector that are rugged, configurable, and affordable.
  • PCSE alumna Ani Acopian ’16 won a 2018 Young Guns award, which recognizes the vanguard of creative professionals 30 years of age and under. She shouts out the Wesleyan entrepreneurship ecosystem in this interview.
  • I have been invited to chair a committee of faculty, staff, and students to consider ways that Wesleyan can better integrate co-curricular learning into the academic core of the University. This syncs with the mission of the Patricelli Center, and I will be sure to share updates and seek your input along the way.

New asks / ways you can engage-

Looking forward to your replies!

Makaela

November 1, 2020

Dear friends,

This is the fourth issue of my monthly update email (scroll down for the first three). Each month I’ll share news from the Patricelli Center, ask for your help and advice, and loop in additional alumni. This is part of an ongoing effort to move from a small and static advisory board to an inclusive and nimble alumni leadership group. Also, writing these updates will help me reflect and stay accountable. If you want to be removed from this list, let me know anytime.

New to the email list this month-

The latest from the Patricelli Center-

New asks / ways you can engage-

• Attend the next two Wesleyan Entrepreneurs Meetups (Nov 18 and Dec 17 at noon) and personally invite other entrepreneurial alumni to attend – ly/wes-meetups-fall2020.
  • Attend the Startup Incubator pitch night (Dec 1 at 6PM) com/wesleyan-university-startup-incubator-pitch-night-12-2020/
  • I’d love to hear from you with feedback about PCSE programs, ideas for the future, or any other topics on your mind. Don’t ever hesitate to reach out.

In solidarity for whatever this week will bring,

Makaela

October 1, 2020

Hello from week 5 of fall semester, where we miraculously have 0 active covid cases as of today, despite having ~2400 students in congregate living and employees who travel to and from campus every day. Everyone who said “college campuses are like docked cruise ships” and predicted that we’d have to shut down by October sure was wrong about Wesleyan!

This is the third issue of my monthly update email (scroll down for the first two). Each month I’ll share news from the Patricelli Center, ask for your help and advice, and loop in additional alumni leaders. This is part of the effort to move from a small and static advisory board to an inclusive and nimble alumni leadership group. Also, writing these updates will help me reflect and stay accountable. If you want to be removed from this list, let me know anytime.

New to the email list this month-

• Jason Jacobs ’98, climate organizer and investor
  • Pritha Mittal ’96, senior management consultant at the Robin Hood Foundation and member of the Wesleyan Board of Trustees

News from the Patricelli Center community-

New asks / ways you can engage-

Warm wishes,

Makaela

September 2020, 2020

Dear friends,

Here is the second issue of my monthly update email (scroll down for the August issue). Each month I’ll share news from the Patricelli Center, ask for your help and advice, and loop in additional alumni leaders. This is part of the effort to move from a small and static advisory board to an inclusive and nimble alumni leadership group. Also, writing these updates will help me reflect and stay accountable.

New to the email list this month-

• Rosemary Ostfeld ’10, founder of Healthy PlanEat  
  • Betsy Schmidt ’89, CEO and founder of Mesh Ed

The latest from the Patricelli Center-

• I went back to the office last week for the first time since March, fall semester started yesterday, students are taking covid safety so seriously, and (unlike my less-optimistic peers) I’m betting we’ll remain on campus until Thanksgiving as planned. I think that if any school can do it, it’s Wesleyan.
  • CSPL480 Engaged Projects launched with 19 students enrolled so far. Topics include: Developing Successful Campaigns that Reach All Voters, Mitigating the Social-Emotional Effects of Racial Dynamics in Private Schools, The Magic of Telomere Biology, The Impact of COVID-19 on Demand for Statewide and Municipal Public Services in CT, and Sustainable Fashion Lab Course Development (@Betsey- thank you for being a Sponsor for this one!).
  • The Patricelli Center Fellowship relaunched as a 1-semester course rather than a full year (@Sarah- thank you for the encouragement!). Below is a screen shot from our first session which took place earlier today. (@Matt- thanks for the icebreaker idea!)
  • With continued support from Newman’s Own Foundation (Thank you @Bob!), the fourth Wesleyan Startup Incubator kicked off today with 13 student entrepreneurs. (@Rosemary- so happy to have you back to teach this again!)

New asks / ways you can engage-

Thanks for reading this far, and I hope to see you at the next alumni meetup on September 21!

Warm wishes,

Makaela

August 1, 2020 

Dear friends,

As Andy mentioned, my intention is to send an update on the first day of each month. I’ll share news from the Patricelli Center, ask for your help and advice, and loop in additional alumni leaders. This is part of the effort to move from a small and static advisory board to an inclusive and nimble alumni leadership group. Also, writing these updates will help me reflect and stay accountable.

So here goes.

New to the email list this month-

• Irma Gonzalez ’78 P’09, founding PCSE Advisory Board member, Wesleyan Trustee Emerita, Zoen Resources
  • Kwaku Akoi ’14, 2014 PCSE grantee, PCSE Meetup co-organizer, New Path Housing
  • Matt Sorkin ’15, PCSE Meetup series co-organizer, WhatIf Innovation
  • Katja Kolcio, Allbritton Director and Associate Professor of Dance

The latest from the Patricelli Center-

Asks / Ways you can engage-

Ok, I think that’s enough for today. I hope you’re all staying afloat during this strange time, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Warm and healthy wishes,

Makaela